Recent Storm Damage Posts
Use Technology to Create a Home Inventory
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can handle your storm damage emergency.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help you clean up after a storm.
We know that having an up-to-date inventory of household items and belongings helps insurance claims to settle faster. Here are some tips from the Insurance Information Institute for using technology to make your home inventory easier.
- Take pictures – Create a photo record of your belongings. Capture important individual items as well as entire rooms, closets, or drawers. Label your photos with what’s pictured, where you bought it, the make or model—whatever information might be important to replacing and/or getting reimbursed for the item. Use your smartphone or digital camera—some give you the capability to put in the description of the item when saving the photo.
- Tape it – Walk through your house or apartment videotaping and describing the contents. For example, you might describe the contents of a kitchen cabinet: “Poppies on Blue by Lenox, service for 12 that includes a dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, cup, and saucer. Purchased in 2015.”
- Use an app – There are many mobile app options that can help you create and store a room-by-room record of your belongings.
Call Us Today!
If you experience storm damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is available 24-hours a day to help. Call us today at 630-384-1040.
Power Outage - Plan Now!
Plan now - Be prepared for a power outage.
Power outages can happen when you least expect them. Plan now to have what you need in the event of a power outage. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross to stay safe:
Create a support network. Identify people who can help you stay at home or evacuate during an extended power outage. Keep a paper copy of your contact list.
Stay connected and alert. Sign up for alert systems and apps for text alerts. Have communication devices that work without home power, including a crank or battery radio, a non-cordless home phone, chargers/batteries for your cell phones and your computers.
Stock food and water. Store non-perishable food and water supplies for at least two weeks. Plan to use coolers and ice to extend food refrigeration and keep a thermometer in the fridge, freezer, or cooler to monitor the food temperature.
Know and plan for your personal and medical electrical needs. Take an inventory of your electrical needs. Consider both back up and non-power alternatives for lighting, communication, medical devices and refrigerated medicine, cooking, garage doors, locks, and elevators. Discuss a plan with your doctor for your medical needs.
Plan how to decide to stay or go. Plan how and when you will evacuate safely to maintain needs such as power-dependent medical devices. Keep your car gas tank at least half full.
If your home or business suffers from storm damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has a team of highly trained technicians on call 24-hours a day to handle your storm damage. Contact us at 630-384-1040.
Know the Signs of a Tornado
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with storm damage restoration.
Tornadoes often accompany thunderstorms. When there are thunderstorms in your area, being prepared can help you stay safe from the storm.
Here are a few tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to be prepared for a tornado:
Know the signs of a tornado
Some tornadoes strike quickly without time for a tornado warning, so it is important to know the signs of a tornado.
Signs that a tornado may be approaching include the following:
- Rotating funnel-shaped cloud
- Approaching cloud of debris
- Dark or green-colored sky
- Large, dark, low-lying cloud
- Large hail
- Loud roar that sounds like a freight train
If you notice any of these signs take cover immediately.
Identify the safest place to take shelter
Although there is no completely safe place during a tornado, some locations are safer than others. Safe places include a storm cellar, a basement, or an inside room without windows on the lowest floor (such as a bathroom, closet, or center hallway).
If you have suffered storm damage caused by a tornado or a powerful thunderstorm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help, call us at 630-384-1040.
Be Ready for the Wind
SERVPRO of Wheaton/ Glen Ellyn / Lisle can handle your storm damage emergency.
Spring weather in the Midwest can bring thunderstorms and high winds into our area quickly. It is important to be aware of the dangers that are associated with them. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration offers some information about wind warnings, watches, and advisories:
High Wind Warning: Take Action! Sustained, strong winds with even stronger gusts are happening. Seek shelter. If you are driving, keep both hands on the wheel.
High Wind Watch: Be Prepared! Sustained, strong winds are possible. Secure loose items and adjust plans as necessary so you are not caught outside.
Wind Advisory: Take Action! Strong winds are occurring but are not so strong to warrant a High Wind Warning. Objects outdoors should be secured, and caution should be taken if driving.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning: Take Action! A thunderstorm is happening or is imminent in the warning area. Severe thunderstorms have 58 miles per hour wind gusts and/or hail one inch or larger. Seek shelter inside a sturdy building.
Preparing for High Winds
- Remove any dead trees or overhanging branches near structures
- Remove loose objects outdoors, on patios, roofs, or balconies that could blow away
- Shutter windows securely and brace outside doors
- Bring in unsecured objects from outside and secure things that could blow away and cause damage or injury
When your home or commercial business needs storm damage restoration services, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has a team of highly trained storm damage specialists available 24-hours a day to help. Call us today at 630-384-1040.
Storm Season is Approaching
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle will respond to your storm damage emergency.
The weather in the Midwest can change quickly and bring powerful storms into our area. Here are a few tips from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to prepare for storm season:
Tornadoes often accompany thunderstorms. Pay close attention to changing weather conditions when there is a severe thunderstorm watch or warning.
- A severe thunderstorm watch means severe thunderstorms are possible in your area.
- A severe thunderstorm warning means severe thunderstorms are occurring in your area.
Know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning
A tornado watch means that a tornado is possible. A tornado watch is issued when weather conditions favor the formation of tornadoes.
During a tornado watch, you should
- Stay tuned to local radio and TV stations, or your mobile phone for further weather information.
- Watch the weather and be prepared to take shelter immediately if conditions worsen.
A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. You should immediately take shelter during a tornado warning.
When your home or commercial business needs storm restoration services, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has a team of highly trained technicians that can respond 24-hours a day, call us at 630-384-1040.
Stay Safe after a Flood
We are available 24-hours a day to respond to storm or flood damage.
Heavy rain caused by thunderstorms and melting snow can lead to flooding at your home or business. It is important to be prepared for unpredictable weather.
Here are a few tips from Ready.gov to stay safe after a flood:
- Return home only when authorities say it is safe
- Avoid driving except in emergencies
- Wear heavy work gloves, protective clothing, and boots during clean up and use appropriate face coverings or masks if cleaning mold or other debris
- Be aware that snakes or other animals may be in your house
- Be aware of the risk of electrocution. Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are standing in water. Turn off the electricity to prevent shock if it is safe to do so.
- Avoid wading in floodwater as it can be contaminated or charged with electricity from downed power lines
- Use a generator or other gasoline-powered machinery ONLY outdoors and away from windows
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day – Call us today at 630-384-1040.
Keep your Animals Safe from Winter Weather
If you experience winter storm damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is available 24-hours a day.
The snow is falling in the Chicagoland area, and more is on the way. The snow can be a pretty sight, but it can also cause dangerous cold and icy conditions for many of us. In addition to our safety, we also must think about the safety of our animals.
Here are some tips from the American Red Cross to protect your animals during a winter storm:
- Bring your companion animals indoors.
- Create a place where your other animals can be comfortable in severe winter weather. Horses and livestock should have a shelter where they can be protected from wind, snow, ice, and rain. Grazing animals should have access to a protected supply of food and non-frozen water.
- Be aware of the potential for flooding when snow and ice melt and be sure that your animals have access to high ground that is not impeded by fencing or other barriers. You may not be able to get to them in time to relocate them in the event of flooding.
- Install snow fences in rural areas to reduce drifting snow on roads and paths, which could block access to homes, barns, and animals' feed and water.
If you experience a storm damage emergency, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has a team of highly trained technicians that are available 24-hours a day. Please call us at 630-384-1040.
Better To Be Prepared
Be ready for winter weather.
We've all heard horror stories of being stuck on a highway in the middle of nowhere during freezing temperatures. Like what happened to those drivers last week in Virginia who were stranded on interstate 95 for over 15 hours. The devastations that occur in those situations are dangerous.
Temperatures will be falling below zero in the coming weeks, are you prepared? If you are traveling by vehicle on the daily during extreme weather conditions there are ways to prepare yourself for the unintended. Here are some tips to help you prepare in case of emergency:
- Store extra warm clothing, blankets, hats and flashlight in case of a breakdown.
- Be sure your cell phone is fully charged before leaving for the road.
- For every 10 degrees the temperature drops, your tire pressure can drop up to two pounds. Be sure to check your tire pressure frequently.
- Be aware due to the cold, response times by police, fire and EMS is slower than usual due to increased demand.
- Do not use cruise control. With heavy winds there could be black ice anywhere.
- Keep your gas tank above your halfway mark at all times.
Being equipped will not only bring you peace of mind, it may save your life. Here are some more tips from our friends at StateFarm. Please be sure click HERE and read more about being safe.
Be prepared for Winter Weather in Glen Ellyn
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle responds to storm damage emergencies 24-hours a day.
Winter Weather has arrived in the Chicagoland area. It is important to stay safe during a winter storm event. A winter storm can last a few hours or several days. According to Ready.gov here are the differences in winter weather terms:
Winter Storm Warning
Issued when hazardous winter weather in the form of heavy snow, heavy freezing rain, or heavy sleet is imminent or occurring. Winter Storm Warnings are usually issued 12 to 24 hours before the event is expected to begin.
Winter Storm Watch
Alerts the public to the possibility of a blizzard, heavy snow, heavy freezing rain, or heavy sleet. Winter Storm Watches are usually issued 12 to 48 hours before the beginning of a Winter Storm.
Winter Weather Advisory
Issued for accumulations of snow, freezing rain, freezing drizzle, and sleet which will cause significant inconveniences and, if caution is not exercised, could lead to life-threatening situations.
Know Your Risk for Winter Storms
Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of freezing weather and winter storms. Listen for emergency information and alerts.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle responds to storm damage emergencies frequently in the winter months. We are available 24 hours a day. Please contact us at 630-384-1040.
Winter Storm Damage - Call SERVPRO
Count on SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle to help with your winter storm damage.
Winter storms can cause damage to your home or business with little or no warning. Snow and ice buildup on the roof or other building structures can cause water intrusion damage to your home or commercial property. SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is ready to respond to your storm damage emergency and begin the cleanup and restoration process immediately. Our highly trained technicians use advanced technology to quickly identify the source of the damage and then use state-of-the-art techniques to quickly repair the damage. Here are some of the storm-related services offered are:
We hope you never experience winter storm damage but if you do, we want to help. We know that every minute counts when it comes to preventing storm damage repairs from becoming costly. Our team of highly trained professionals is on call 24-hours a day. Call us today at 630-384-1040.
Flood Safety - Be Ready
We respond to storm damage emergencies 24-hours a day.
Floods are among the most frequent and costly natural disasters. Flooding often occurs following a hurricane, thawing snow, or several days of sustained rain. Flash floods occur suddenly, due to rapidly rising water along a stream or low-lying area.
Know the Difference between a flood watch and a flood warning.
A flood/flash flood WATCH means a flood or flash flood is possible.
A flood/flash flood WARNING means flooding or flash flooding is already occurring or will occur soon.
Here are a few tips from Ready.gov to know about how to stay safe during a flood:
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Do not walk, swim, or drive through floodwaters.
- Remember, just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Depending on the type of flooding:
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
If you are dealing with flood, storm, or water damage from thunderstorms, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is ready to respond quickly. Our highly trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources to handle the job, large or small. You can reach us at 630-384-1040.
Prepare an Emergency Kit
Be prepared - Make an emergency kit today.
After a storm passes through your location, there are some items you can keep in a waterproof container (your emergency kit) to be prepared for possible evacuation.
According to Ready.gov it is a good idea to be prepared in the event you would need to evacuate your home, and these are some items to have in your emergency kit:
- Copies of medical insurance & Medicare cards
- Warm blankets
- Extra clothing, especially socks & undergarments
- Bottled water
- Batteries for your electronic devices
- Written contact list
Some additional things to consider:
- Make sure that at least one other person can get your medications & supplies
- Have at least a week-long supply of prescription medicines
- A list of all medications, dosages, and allergies
- An extra pair of glasses or extra contact lenses
- Hearing-aid batteries
- Games & activities for children
- Masks, soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes
If you have pets, consider these items:
- Pet food and toys
- Toys or comfort objects
- Vet information
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day to help. You can reach us at (630) 384-1040.
SERVPRO can handle your Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can handle your storm damage.
Storms can be unpredictable in the Midwest. Water and wind can cause damage to your home or business rapidly. Any damage to your home or business that allows water to seep into floors or ceilings can become costly repairs if not mitigated early. Therefore, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants commercial business and homeowners to know that when damage occurs to your home or property due to a storm, we are available to help you. We will respond to your call quickly and will immediately begin the cleanup and restoration process. Here are some of the services we provide:
- Disaster Recovery Team
- 24 Hour Emergency Response
- Content Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Sewage Cleanup
- Carpet Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
No matter what your storm cleanup and restoration needs may be, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants to help. We are available 24 hours a day and have the specialized equipment necessary to restore storm damage to businesses and residences alike. Call us today at (630) 384-1040. We’ll take care of your storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
Thunderstorm Preparedness Tips
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle will respond to storm damage emergencies.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants residents to stay safe during severe weather events and offers these safety tips from the Federal Emergency Management on thunderstorm safety:
- When you hear thunder, go indoors. A sturdy building is the safest place to be during a thunderstorm
- Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of thunderstorms. Be ready to change plans, if necessary, to be near shelter
- When you receive a thunderstorm warning or hear thunder, go inside immediately
- If indoors, avoid running water or using landline phones. Electricity can travel through plumbing and phone lines
- Protect your property. Unplug appliances and other electric devices
- If boating or swimming, get to land and find a sturdy, grounded shelter or vehicle immediately
- If necessary, take shelter in a car with a metal top and sides. Do not touch anything metal
- Avoid flooded roadways. Just six inches of fast-moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has a team of storm restoration technicians ready to respond 24 hours a day to any storm damage emergency. Call us at 630-384-1040. We’ll restore your storm damage, “Like it never even happened.”
Tips to Stay Safe During a Power Outage
If you experience storm damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help.
With spring weather heading to the Chicagoland area the weather can change quickly. Severe storms can bring strong winds which sometimes can cause a widespread power outage in your area.
Extended power outages may impact your daily routine. Here are a few tips from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to protect yourself during a power outage:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Use alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or power-dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
- Check on neighbors.
If you have a storm damage emergency, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is available 24 hours a day for assistance. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 630-384-1040.
Winter has arrived - Be Prepared for Winter Storms
Be prepared for winter storms - Rely on SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle to help with a winter storm emergency.
The Chicagoland area has had our fair share of snow and cold weather this year and as we head into the weekend the temperatures are going to get even lower. It is important to be prepared for winter storms and extreme freezing temperatures that can come with them.
Winter storms can also create a higher risk of hypothermia, frostbite, carbon monoxide poisoning, heart attacks from overexertion, and car accidents. Snowstorms, blizzards, freezing rain, ice, and high winds are all things that can knock out heat, power, and communication services. SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is ready to respond quickly if you experience a storm damage emergency caused by winter weather.
Please follow these safety tips from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on what to do if you are under a winter storm warning:
Winter Storm Warning
- Find shelter right away.
- Stay off roads.
- Stay indoors and dress warmly.
- Prepare for power outages.
- Use a generator outside only.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Look for signs of hypothermia and frostbite.
- Check on neighbors.
If you experience a storm damage emergency in your home or business, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is ready to respond 24 hours a day. Call us at 630-384-1040.
Lightning Safety Tips
Follow these lightning safety tips to keep safe during the storm.
Lightning Storms can occur at any time of the year, and sometimes when we least expect them. Here are some tips from weather.gov that can keep you safe if you find yourself in a lightning storm:
Lightning: What You Need to Know
- No place outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area.
- If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you.
- When you hear thunder, immediately move to a safe shelter.
- Stay in the safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.
Indoor Lightning Safety
- Stay off corded phones, computers that are in direct contact with electricity.
- Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Do not lie on concrete floors.
If you are caught Outdoors – Follow these tips:
- Get off elevated areas such as hill, mountain ridges or peaks.
- Never lie flat on the ground.
- Never shelter under and isolated tree.
- Stay away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has years of experience cleaning up after storm damage. If you experience storm damage caused by a lightning storm – we are Here to Help. Please call us at (630) 384-1040.
Winter Storms are headed our way
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with your winter storm emergency.
Winter storms are approaching the Chicagoland area and they can deliver some serious weather, which can lead to property damage. From ice dams, to snow covered roofs and fallen trees, all of these weather related problems demand fast attention, especially when the temperature can be extremely low and your home or business is exposed to the elements.
Available 24 hours a day to respond to your Storm Damage
When choosing SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle, you are partnering with a restoration company who not only has experience delivering all forms of restoration service, but we also understand the situation that you’re in. If your home or office is damaged and exposed to the outside elements, you want it sealed quickly, cleaned up, repaired and back to normal quickly and properly. That’s what we do. We live in the area as well, so we understand the need to have your home or business stabilized and repaired, especially in the middle of a Chicagoland winter.
If winter has delivered damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle to help: (630) 384-1040.
Prepare Now for a Power Outage
Don't let a power outage leave you in the dark. Be prepared now.
Power Outages can disrupt your routine and sometimes they can result in damage to your home or business. According to Ready.gov here are some steps to help you prepare now if a power outage does occur:
- Take an inventory of the items you need that rely on electricity.
- Talk to your medical provider about a power outage plan for medical devices powered by electricity and refrigerated medicines. Find out how long medication can be stored at higher temperatures and get specific guidance for any medications that are critical for life.
- Plan for batteries and other alternatives to meet your needs when the power goes out.
- Sign up for local alerts and warning systems. Monitor weather reports.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup in central locations on every level of your home.
- Determine whether your home phone will work in a power outage and how long battery backup will last.
- Review the supplies that are available in case of a power outage. Have flashlights with extra batteries for every household member. Have enough nonperishable food and water.
- Use a thermometer in the refrigerator and freezer so that you can know the temperature when the power is restored. Throw out food if the temperature is 40 degrees or higher.
- Keep mobile phones and other electric equipment charged and gas tanks full.
If you experience storm damage to your property, please call SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle at (630) 384-1040.
SERVPRO is ready to handle your Storm Damage
We are storm damage restoration professionals.
Snow, flooding, thunderstorms, lightning, high winds, and hail can cause damage to your property. Uprooted trees and dangling powerlines can contribute to the mess. SERVPRO has years of experience responding to any kind of storm damage.
Fast Response Time
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants homeowners and commercial business owners to know that no matter what kind of storm damage you experience, we are ready to respond to your emergency 24 hours a day.
Our technicians are highly trained professionals and undergo initial intensive training when hired, and undergo employee certification and continuous training for:
- Crew Training
- Fire Restoration
- Water Restoration
- Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Call Us Today
If your home or commercial business experiences storm damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton/ Glen Ellyn / Lisle is always available to help. Call us today at 630-384-1040. We’ll cleanup and restore your storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
Beat the Summer Heat with these Safety Tips
Follow these safety tips to stay cool & hydrated this summer.
As we approach the middle of summer in the Chicagoland area extreme temperatures continue to rise, be ready to battle the summer heat by following these tips from the CDC:
- Wear appropriate clothing: Choose lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Stay cool indoors: Stay in an air-conditioned place as much as possible. If your home does not have air conditioning, go somewhere that does, even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you go back into the heat.
- Plan outdoor activities carefully: Try to limit your outdoor activity to when it is coolest, like morning and evening hours.
- Pace yourself: Start slowly and pick up the pace gradually.
- Wear sunscreen: If you must go outdoors, protect yourself from the sun by wearing a hat, sunglasses, and by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher.
- Avoid cooking hot meals: They add heat to your body!
- Drink plenty of fluids: Drink more fluids, regardless of how active you are. Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink.
- Replace salt and minerals: Sweating removes salt and minerals from the body that need to be replaced. A sports drink can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat.
- Keep your pets hydrated: Provide plenty of fresh water for your pets.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle want to make sure you stay cool this summer. Give us a call at (630) 384-1040 if you have any questions.
Stay Safe during a Flood
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with storm and flood damage.
Springtime in the Midwest can bring severe rain showers which can lead to flooding in our area. According to Ready.gov floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States. Here are a few things to know about floods:
- Result from heavy rain, storm surges and overflows of dams and other water systems.
- Develop slowly or quickly. Flash floods can come with no warning.
- Cause outages, disrupt transportation, damage buildings and create landslides.
If you are under a flood warning, find safe shelter right away
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off of bridges over fast-moving water.
- Depending on the type of flooding:
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day – Call us today at (630) 384-1040.
Severe Weather - Safety tips for a Portable Generator
Keep your home running through the storm with the help of a portable generator.
Are you getting ready for the spring storms to arrive in the Wheaton & Glen Ellyn area? Power outages are a common occurrence during a severe storm and a portable generator is a great tool to help you through the power outage.
If you have a portable generator on hand for power outages during severe weather, follow the safety tips below provided by the American Red Cross.
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
- To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use it in wet conditions. Operate it on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure, such as under a tarp held up on poles. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
- Be sure to turn the generator off and let it cool down before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
If you experience storm or water damage caused by a power outage in your home, please give SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle a call at (630) 384-1040.
Source: Residential Newsline Volume 18 issue 2
Be Prepared for a Flood
Be prepared for a flood or storm before it arrives.
Flooding can happen fast in many environments. It is important to be prepared for a disaster to strike.
Without the proper preparation, families and communities can be completely devastated. Even though local officials and relief workers will be on a scene after disaster, they may not be able to reach everyone immediately which makes it important to be prepared.
The American Red Cross recommends having the following list of items packed and ready to go in the event of an evacuation due to flooding.
- Water – 3 day supply for each person
- 3 day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Multi-purpose tool
- Personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Cell Phone with chargers
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Extra Cash
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day to help. You can reach us at (630) 384-1040.
Storm Damage - SERVPRO can Help
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with all kinds of Storm Damage.
If you live in the Midwest, chances are you know just how quick the weather can change and storms can occur on a moment’s notice.
Whatever type of weather event happens in Chicagoland, you can count on SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle to be able to respond quickly. Our team has several years of experience responding to weather events across the area, region, and even throughout the United States.
In recent years our SERVPRO has responded to storms involving hurricanes, sub-zero temperatures, tornadoes, flooding, and all types of weather events. Given our experience with these types of events, our team has the knowledge and skills to respond quickly and professionally to assist homes and businesses during stressful moments. When a big storm happens, you want to rely on the experienced professionals at SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us today (630) 384-1040
Thunderstorm Preparation in Wheaton
Thunderstorms can happen at any time. Be Ready!
As the cold weather descends on our area, remember that thunder and lightning are also a part of the wintry mix that we face. Here are some facts from Ready.gov that you need to be aware of if a thunderstorm is headed your way.
Thunderstorms are dangerous storms that include lightning and can:
- Include powerful winds over 50 MPH
- Create hail
- Cause floods
- Cause tornadoes
It is important to prepare for a Thunderstorm
- When thunder roars, go indoors!
- Move from outdoors into a building or car.
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings.
- Unplug appliances.
Thunderstorms occur with little warning and can be especially devastating, so you’ll need the company that you can trust to rise to the occasion. Regardless of the type of storm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can handle any size disaster. Call us today at (630) 384-1040.
Winter Storms - Be Prepared!
Be prepared for winter storms.
Winter is fast approaching the Chicagoland area and it is very important to be ready before the snow flies. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross that will keep you safe during the winter weather.
- Talk with your family about what to do if a winter storm watch or warning is issued.
- Have your vehicle winterized before the winter storm season to decrease your chance of being stranded in cold weather.
- Have a mechanic check your battery, antifreeze, wipers and windshield fluid, ignition system, thermostat, lights, flashing hazard lights, exhaust system, heater, brakes, defroster and oil.
- Keep in your vehicle: a windshield scraper, small broom, matches in a waterproof container, an emergency supply kit, including warm clothing.
- Keep your gas tank full so you can leave right away in an emergency.
- Have a cell phone with you and make sure the battery is charged.
- Pack a warm coat, gloves and a hat.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants you to arrive safely at your final destination.
Storm Safety for Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle: Lightning Facts & Tips
“When thunder roars, go indoors.”
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle can help board up your home or business, clean contents and the structure after smoke, soot, and fire from lightning strikes. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down, crotch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Call us for help at 630-384-1040 anytime as we are open 24/7/ 365 days a year after fire damage, lightning strikes, or trees that fall on your home or business.
Floods, Disasters, and Storm Damage. SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle Helps
When storms, natural disasters or other weather events take place, SERVPRO of Wheaton Glen Ellyn / Lisle responds.
When those events take place that you see on the evening news, such as flooding and large natural disasters, it may be surprising to know that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is most likely responding to help. Our franchise is among a select group of SERVPRO franchises who are designated as Large Loss and who travel to respond to large catastrophic events.
A Local Restoration Company with a National Reach
Having a local restoration company with experience responding to large natural disasters is a benefit. The experience and knowledge gained from responding to such events is quickly evidenced when we respond locally. The team that will respond has been in some of the most stressful and chaotic situations, so they know how to remain calm under pressure, but they also understand how you must be feeling during a stressful time.
Serving up Some Help from Water Damage at a Tennis Facility
Water Damage can happen anywhere, even a tennis court. SERVPRO can help
Water Damage can happen anywhere. Sometimes it can be a house, business, or a commercial facility that experiences a flood or damage from a storm with heavy rains. Storm damage can happen anywhere, including at a tennis facility, as seen in the photo. After a heavy storm blew through the area, many businesses experienced property and water damage, including a tennis and sport facility.
Water Can Damage Property in Many Ways
Aside from removing water and providing remediation to the buildings at this tennis center, SERVPRO was also asked to remove the excess water from the courts. It may seem somewhat frivolous to spend time pushing water off the courts, but when excess amounts of water sit on a tennis court, the pressure form the water can cause buckling and damage to the surface. Our crews worked together to remove as much of the excess water as possible from the courts in the hopes of limiting or preventing damage. And we did save the courts. Game. Set. Match.
Flooding from a Storm: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can Repair the Damage
Flooding from Storm Damage can be repaired by SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle
Summer rain quickly turned into a storm. Before long, a golf course was flooded and water rushed into the clubhouse. Water stood two feet high throughout the lower level, which houses employee dormitories, a member lounge, elevator shafts, and the country club wine cellar. Help was needed.
After the storm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle was called and went to work. The water was pumped out and unsalvageable items were removed. Mitigation teams cut the wet drywall and began drying the facility. After the property was dried, the rebuild began, with construction teams restoring the property to its original state. New drywall, flooring, and trim was installed. Soon enough, the club was back to normal and the course resumed operations.
If your home or business experiences storm damage that results in flooding, water damage, or other property damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help.
Damage from heavy rain or high winds: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle will respond to all storm damage
If a storm has caused damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond with one truck or the 53’ disaster trailer.
Property Damage from a Storm
Some storms can deliver more than thunder and lightning. Summertime storms can bring powerful winds, heavy rains and severe damage to property. If your property is damaged from a storm, SERVPRO can help. As 24-hour emergency restoration company that lives in the same area as you, we know when these storms happen and are prepared to respond.
Storm Damage at your Home or Business
Summer storms usually involve water damage, water in the basement, or rain entering a building through a damaged roof or window. Aside from making sure everyone is safe (including pets), the next step is to stop any further damage from happening. SERVPRO will provide temporary closures to any open areas before beginning remediation and restoration. What does that mean? We will remove any standing water and/or debris and start drying the property. If there was damage to a roof, walls, windows or other parts of a structure, we can repair all damaged areas, from roofs to windows and carpet.
Commercial to Residential Restoration After a Storm
As part of the national Disaster Recovery Team, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is fully prepared to respond in force to any size disaster, bringing all the people and equipment necessary, including our disaster trailer. If the damage affected a portion of a living room, we will respond there as well.
If you have a water problem or wind has damaged your home or office, call SERVPRO.